Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Demand for Librarians on the Rise

I read an article online that was in the online version of the Detroit News in the Careers section. It was written by Kathy Carlson of the Gannett News Service. The article appeared Friday, September 10, 2004. The basic gist of the article was that "librarians don't just live in the four walls of the library anymore".

This article, coupled with a meeting I had with Susan Chenoweth of the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago led me to think that maybe those of us in the KM world need to look closer at librarianship as a way to move the profession forward. Susan told me that if you are willing to work in a number of different areas and be involved with various technologies, librarianship can be a rewarding career.

It seems to me that we have been letting technology lead the way in the KM world. Many of us in KM come from a technology background so naturally we tend to think of KM in those terms. What I have discovered is professional managers of information (librarians in particular) might be the innovators we have overlooked.

Just some food for thought and grist for the mill.

No comments: